The Local Security Groups under the umbrella of Non-State Actors, Ekiti State Chapter in response to the tragic murder of two traditional rulers in Ekiti, as well as the increasing incidents of kidnapping and terrorism by armed bandits in the state has convened an emergency meeting at the Office of the Commandant of the group in Ado-Ekiti.
Representatives from diverse organizations, such as the Ekiti State Peace Corps, Vigilante Group of Nigeria, Oodua People’s Congress, Local Hunters, and more, convened to deliberate on critical security issues impacting the state.
At the end of the meeting, the group resolved to extend the reach of their operations, collaborating with the police and other security agencies in the state
The collaborative effort aims to support Governor Biodun Abayomi Oyebanji’s endeavors to eliminate criminal activities within the state.
Read the full communique below:
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF AN URGENT MEETING HELD AT THE OFFICE OF COMMANDANT, NON-STATE ACTORS, EKITI STATE, IN RESPONSE TO THE MONDAY 29TH JANUARY, 2024 GRUESOME MURDER OF TWO TRADITIONAL RULERS IN EKITI AND INCESSANT KIDNAPPING ACTIVITIES BEING PERPETRATED BY UNKNOWN GUN MEN IN THE STATE
The Non-State Actors Ekiti State, in response to the gruesome murder of two Ekiti traditional rulers along Ipao – Oke-Ako – Irele road by some unknown gun men, the kidnapping of pupils of Apostolic Faith Nursery and Primary School in Emure Ekiti on Monday 29th January, 2024 and other terrorism activities, met to discuss matters of security as it affect the state and the need to curb the incessant kidnapping, terrorism and banditry that has been going on in the state in recent time.
In swift reaction, the headship of the Non-State Actors in Ekiti State were in attendance to chart a new course in assisting the conventional security agencies in the state on the protection of lives and properties of Ekiti residents.
Organizations in attendance are as follows:
- Ekiti State Peace Corps
- Vigilante Group of Nigeria
- Oodua People’s Congress (NEW ERA)
- Oodua People’s Congress (FASHEUN GROUP)
- Oodua People’s Congress (REFORM)
- Oodua People’s Congress (GANI ADAMS GROUP)
- LOCAL HUNTERS, Ekiti State
- Nigeria Legion Corps of Commissioner
- AGBEKOYA, Ekiti State
Monday 29th January 2024 Gruesome murder of two Ekiti traditional rulers; the Elesun of Esun Ekiti and Olumojo of Imojo Ekiti and the kidnapping of pupils and teachers of Apostolic Faith Nursery and Primary School in Emure Ekiti
The incessant kidnapping, terrorism and banditry activities by unknown gun men in the state in recent time
Overall security of the state in collaboration with the conventional security agencies.
The meeting identified and acknowledged the relentless effort of the Governor of Ekiti State, Mr. Biodun Abayomi Oyebanji in strengthening the security architecture of the state in order to improve on the security of lives and properties of her citizens and to rid the state off the criminal activities.
The meeting equally acknowledged the effort of the Nigeria Police Ekiti State Command, the Department of State Seevice Ekiti State, the Nigerian Army Unit Ekiti State, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps Ekiti State Command, the Nigeria Immigration Service Ekiti State Command, the Nigeria Custom Service Ekiti State Command and other conventional security agencies for their relentless effort in combating crime in the state.
The meeting also commiserate with The Governor of Ekiti State, Mr. Biodun Abayomi Oyebanji, the Council of Ekiti traditional rulers, the people of Imojo and Esun Ekiti and the entire people of Ekiti State home and abroad on the gruesome murder of two Ekiti traditional rulers on Monday 29th January,2024.
The meeting observe that kidnapping, terrorism and banditry has become a global issue, therefore it becomes the burden on government every society to address it locally depending on their peculiarities, hence, the urgent need to put a stop to their activities in our state.
The meeting further observe that there has been influx of illegal immigrats to our state through unconventional routes and our polarized borders, hence the need to provide adequate securities in our borders across the state.
The meeting also identified the need to collaborate with conventional security agencies like The Nigerian Police, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and others in Ekiti State for a smooth and coordinated war against crime in the state
At the end of our deliberations, we resolved as follows:
- That it is important as a matter of urgency to expand our scope of operations in synergy with the Police and other conventional security agencies in the state on the security of lives and properties of good people of Ekiti State
- That we the non-state actors should see our contribution in securing our state as a selfless contribution and to compliment the relentless effort of Governor Biodun Abayomi Oyebanji to rid the state of criminal activities.
- That we are determined and resolute as a united force of non-state actors to proceed to all our territorial forest to comb out all criminals and crime activities as the case may be under a code-named exercise. And to be more effective in our operations, we implored the government of Ekiti State to provide the needed and necessary logistics support for our combine operations in the war against kidnapping, terrorism and banditry in the state and
- That henceforth, our borders should be mounted by combine team of non-state actors for checks so as to prevent illegal immigrants from entering our communities as well as curbing other criminal activities at our various borders and that concentration should be given to boundary towns like; Ipao – Oke-Ako – Irele – Iyemero axis being the areas with multiple criminal activities in the state.
- That we should partner with Landlords, community and quarters’ heads for quick identification of people living in their domains.
- That we should partner with the hoteliers operating within the state for a collaborative effort in flushing out the criminals lodging in their facilities.