The Nigerian Army has released detailed descriptions of the armed criminals responsible for the attack that resulted in the tragic demise of two traditional rulers in the state last Monday.
Recall that HRM Oba David Ogunsukin, the Elesun of Esun-Ekiti, and HRM Oba Olatunde Olusola, the Onimojo of Omojola-Ekiti, were attacked and killed last week while returning from a security meeting. While Oba Adebayo Fatoba, the Alara of Ara-Ekiti narrowly escaped being killed.
In a statement released on Sunday through the official handle of the Nigerian Army, Lieutenant Colonel Polycarp Okoye, the Acting Deputy Director of Public Relations of the 2 Division Nigerian Army, disclosed that the investigation uncovered that the perpetrators, numbering approximately six, were equipped with 1 AK-47 rifle, 1 pump action gun, a single barrel gun, matches, and sticks.
He stated that the mindless killing of the monarchs and the urgent need to arrest the perpetrators compelled the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 2 Division, Nigerian Army, Major General Bamidele Alabi, to pay an operational visit to the 32 Artillery Brigade Operational Base at Emure, where the attack took place.
Okoye said while “briefing the GOC during his visit on Friday, the Commander, 32 Artillery Brigade, Brigadier General JR Lar, said that troops of 32 Brigade, in conjunction with the Police, Department of State Services (DSS), and other paramilitary agencies, including the local vigilante team, have been raiding the bushes, conducting search and rescue operations, conducting clearance operations, and intensifying efforts to trail the kidnappers.
“He assured the GOC that efforts are in place to ensure that all persons connected to the killings and kidnapping incidents are arrested and handed over to appropriate authorities.”
He further disclosed that the State Assembly and Council of Obas recently made resolutions prohibiting individuals or groups from residing in the bushes,” adding that “this informed the current collaboration of the Police, NA, and other security agencies to clear the bushes of all illegal occupants and criminal elements.”
According to Okoye, “General Lar said that the operation will continue and all efforts to achieve good results will be sustained.
“The GOC applauded the efforts of the Brigade Commander and his team while urging them to intensify efforts towards capturing the criminal elements and restoring normalcy in the area,” he added.